Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year’s Deletions

Happy [western] New Year! We’ll do this again in February as the Year of the Rabbit begins.

So we all know what happens to New Year’s resolutions. They last a good twelve hours until you sober up and without warning find yourself scarfing down a bag of chips. (I want to get fit but not right now.) Then you feel bad for not being able to keep a new year’s resolution; even something as seemingly easy as eating right. Yet another year, starting off in failure... might as well eat those chocolates too.

I decided to make my life easy. (After all, I live in Easy World, where everything is easy.) I have decided this year to remove certain things from my life. Forget keeping resolutions—this is a New Year's deletion.

In a recent review of my values and priorities, I unearthed a bunch of outdated ways of thinking. They don’t fit the real me; they're just ideas I picked up along the way, mistruths like “Asking for what you want is greedy” or “Putting myself first is selfish, and selfish is bad.”

What a relief to get that clutter out of my head.

Shedding light on habitual mis-truths allowed me to delete them, thus creating space for thoughts of creativity, love and joy.